February 7, 2009
“May the people who make the seventh day holy find satisfaction in Your generosity” is part of the blessing for Shabbat in the Amidah. Waking up in Tel Aviv and surely every Jewish community in Israel, the absence of the squeal of power saws and scrapers at construction sites, the roar of the garbage truck or other delivery vehicles, the loud voices of people walking by on their way to work or accompanying their children to school makes me appreciate this verse. When I first open my eyes, I hear the silence, then the song of a bird or two, and then, after my ears have convinced themselves that the day is indeed different, I begin to hear the voices of children and maybe the bouncing of a ball. What a gift to have such a day. Stop, take a deep breath, look at the flowers, appreciate the warmth of the sun. Even the traffic on Namir--two long blocks from our appartment--the main, busy thoroughfare between Tel Aviv and Haifa--is sparse and somehow more peaceful during Shabbat morning as I make my way to Beit Daniel.
The participants today were different, yet again, from the previous morning services that I have attended. By the time that the Torah service began, the hall was practically full with elderly people, young parents with young children, but none of the bar/bat mitzvah age kids that have attended previously. Although everything was in Hebrew something seemed different about this occasion. Yoram looked like any bar mitzvah, although perhaps a bit more distracted. He made brief remarks before the Torah was removed from the Ark and received the first of many rounds of applause this morning. He blessed the Torah for the maftir, but did not read. He chanted the blessing for the Haftorah and the portion of the day from Judges. His younger sister, about 10 or 11 in a lovely, full-length, halter-top white dress, accompanied by a 3 year old cousin quietly distributed the candy. As Yoram chanted I noticed one sleek, fashionably dressed woman near the front who had turned toward the congregation. She had tears in her eyes. I then noticed that the man next to me was tearful, as were many in attendance. Yoram finished to applause and then chanted the blessing after the reading. He had barely finished when not only did the candy let fly, but many family members rushed the bima. His mother jumped into his arms. The rabbi seemed to lead the applause. Tears were flowing as we sang siman tov and mazel tov (good sign and good luck). Then, as is the custom at Beit Daniel, the parent(s) made brief remarks. While Yoram’s father made his remarks, he put his arm around his shoulder and Yoram rested his head on his dad's shoulder. More tears flowed. His mother spoke and then his younger sister took her turn and even though I understood not a word, she sounded poised and pleased at what her brother had accomplished.
When we adjourned to the lobby for Kiddush, I said to the gabbai that this seemed to be a very special occasion. She told me that, yes, he has some developmental problems, so it was very special. Shabbat Shalom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment