We had a wonderful Shabbat dinner at the home of a colleague, joined by her husband and their absolutely adorable 2 yr 8 month son.
I was asked, “Why did you want to study philanthropy in Israel for this time? Do others spend so much time in Israel?” After explaining that the opportunity to spend time is somewhat unique to people from the university and that a number of faculty members from UNC have taken sabbaticals in Israel. “With regard to philanthropy, about 10 or 12 years ago, I was moved by the power that gifts, donations of money, can have, both on the recipients and the donors. I thought it was remarkable especially the effects that communal giving can have. You may remember about 5 or 6 years ago when two synagogues were bombed in Turkey, in Istanbul, on Shabbat. I think it’s amazing that the very next morning the worldwide Jewish community, through our communal programs, was there to provide help and comfort. Or let me give you another example. You may have heard about Virginia Tech University in the States. Two years ago, a mentally ill student murdered several students and faculty members. It was a horrible tragedy. Within 24 hours, the UJC had given the campus Hillel at Virginia Tech, $10,000 so that they could stay open 24 hours a day until the end of the semester to provide comfort, food, a place to feel safe for students and non-students, Jews and non-Jews in that community. I am interested in learning more about how to make it possible for the Jewish community to respond in this way. Individuals may or may not be able to respond, to provide this type of assistance immediately when needed.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment