Sunday, April 5, 2009

This is the Way We Do the Wash

In January, after doing one load of laundry in the small washer in our apartment and hanging the clothes to dry on the line suspended outside from the bathroom window (recall Molly Goldberg), I decided that I would rather not spend this time doing my laundry. Fortunately, in our little shopping complex in the center of Bavli, there are two small shops for laundry and dry cleaning. At Clean Shop http://cleanshop.co.il/, it costs 50 shekels for 6 kilos (one large load). After taking my laundry every 10 days or so, I have enjoyed getting to know Hadassah and her daughter Adar. They are both friendly and tolerant of my Hebrew. It doesn’t hurt that they both speak English. Today, there was a new assistant, Micki, the same age as Hadassah. I inquired about dry cleaning my jacket and Micki jumped right in saying “40 shekels, about 10 bucks.” She asked where I was from and then commented that I did not sound like I was from North Carolina. As I was turning to leave, she said, with a big smile, “do you have a friend in North Carolina who would like to come to Israel?” I laughed and then Hadassah chimed in, “me too, two for one!” How do you say “JDate” in Hebrew?

No comments:

Post a Comment