Sunday, March 15, 2009
Jewish Texts and Tzedakah
I have been excited by many experiences toward two of my three goals in coming to Israel. The third, studying Jewish text that informs tzedakah, has been more problematic until today. Noam Zion, a faculty member at the Hartman Institute (www.hartmaninstitute.com), visited Beth El in Durham in February where he spoke on the subject of Tzedakah, Philanthropy and Charity. I contacted him upon his return to Israel to describe my interests. He shared with me the draft manuscript that was the basis of his talk. As a thoughtful explication of narratives about tzedakah it will be an excellent resource, but moreso, the manuscript is likely to be a wonderful document for teaching. As I read the first 100 pages, a passage would prompt a question for me and then two paragraphs later the question is addressed. As with all good teachers, Noam has that important skill of anticipating the questions, of knowing what students might ask, even if they themselves don’t yet know what the questions are. I met with him today at the Hartman Institute and he suggested that I was the type of audience that he is seeking for his book—-people of at least moderate Jewish literacy, with interest/experience in contemporary issues of tzedakah. I am delighted that he offered the opportunity to work with him, learn from him, as an engaged reader of drafts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment